Bright Side Youth Ranch exists to inspire the next generation toward hope, and at the heart of that mission is the Session Program.
During the 60 minute, individualized session, we seek to introduce children to the Author of Hope and help them take steps forward in personal growth. Because we work with One Child, One Mentor, and One Horse that each child gets a private and focused time that is suited to facilitate their unique situation.
Connecting One Child with One Horse and One Mentor helps the child develop MENTALLY through problem solving, PHYSICALLY through ranch chores and exercise outdoors, SPIRITUALLY through conversations about God and faith, SOCIALLY through a relationship with a trusted mentor, and EMOTIONALLY through empathy and a connection with a horse.
A typical Session may include:
- A ranch chore
- Basic horse care
- Fun activities and games
Requirements for Sessions:
- Be between ages 8 and 18
- A desire to participate on the part of the child
- A parent/guardian/caretaker must stay on site for the duration of the session
- Closed toed shoes (or boots)
Recommendations for Sessions:
- Long pants for riding
- Shoes (or boots) with a heel
- A bottle of water
As stated above, we require that a child's parent, guardian or approved caretaker be on the property at all times during their child's session. Adults and siblings or friends who do not have a session have some options. We hope for this time to be relaxing and enjoyable for all who come. Here are some ideas for that time, as well as some general safety rules:
- Read or relax in one of the areas provided.
- Take a walk around the pond for quiet reflection and prayer.
- Get plugged in as a Volunteer. Click here for more information on becoming a volunteer.
- Play or be involved with your kids who are not in sessions. Please keep these children with you at all times. You are welcome to use our craft and toy boxes during your stay.
- Watch your children ride during their session. We do ask that you watch from a distance and help us to maintain a one-on-one relationship with your child.
- Taking pictures is permitted and encouraged. Again, we ask parents to use discernment regarding giving space to their child and leader during the session.
- The horses love to welcome visitors. We invite you to meet them over the fence. However, please do not enter the paddocks or feed any treats without a Bright Side leader present.
We do not provide any counseling services at the Ranch. However, we know that the children receive hope and healing from our equine therapists who provide patience and unconditional love to all of the children.